Tuesday, July 28, 2009



Sunflower, Oh Sunflower
Courtesy of Britannica.com



Courtesy of fremontnetworks.com


Isn't this a great idea?


It's called "Project Sprout." GTECH (Growth Through Energy & Community Health) and Green Coast Enterprises teamed up to plant Sunflower fields in empty lots in New Orleans that were considered to be "blighted". It would be nice if other counties in other states would adopt this idea. Things would sure be a lot more cheerful!



Courtesy of netstate.com

Courtesy of wallpaper.diq.ru

Sunflowers are actually fairly easy to grow provided they have lots of sun and deep soil. I started a couple seeds in my window this year, then transplanted as they grew. But I decided to keep a few indoors up until they were about 3 feet high, each sprouting a beautiful flower. The window received full sun in the afternoons. Because I live in a condo, I didn't have the ability to plant them in the ground, so they lasted in a container as long as possible. But I can't wait til the day I live on lots of acreage again and can plant row of these magnificent flowers.

For more information on growing your own sunflowers, visit
Renee's Garden, Sunflower Guide, or Gardner's Net.


Painting by Ruth Suller.
What grows in your garden this year?

9 comments:

  1. That is a totally fantastic idea!

    I love your pictures, so happy :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of the huge sunflowers my father used to plant in his Tennessee garden. So beautiful!!
    He used to let them dry out, then sit back and watch the birds arrive to pluck out the seeds. By the way, your photos are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've often grown them outside, but never inside. I LOVE this idea! Thanks so much for visiting my blog and for your lovely comment! My word verification, by the way is "priest." How funny is that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yippee...I opened a blog!! Good grief, how sad is my life right now? Darn computer gremlins!!

    You are a girl after my own heart! I LOVE sunflowers! We often buy fresh sunflowers for the house and I did grow some last year. Your post made me smile!!

    xoxo
    Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sunflowers make me feel so happy! Your blog is so fun. Thanks for stopping by mine...come visit again:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. During our recent trip to Spain, we drove through roads in the Andulucia region that were framed with rolling hills of sunflowers for as far as you could see! They are one of my favorite flowers because they just make you smile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darling, great choice of post,they look fresh and sunny. I have a few in my garden, but sorry to report they are not doing too well, I should work on them some more, a little TLC perhaps.

    Duchess xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous idea. So cheery and bright too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post, just so bright and cheery.

    BTW, you've been tagged! http://trishiekoh.blogspot.com/2009/07/tagged.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin