Thursday, July 22, 2010

Travel Thursday

Austria
(Re-Post Summer 09)


Last summer I blogged about Austria... and while I haven't had as much time as I like to dedicate to my blog, because of building my website and planning actual travel itineraries for PHOTOgraphy Getaways, (yes, a kind of work I just love) I thought I would repost some of my favorites with an updated spin.

Today, I bought the DK Eyewitness Travel book on Austria. I'm so excited about one of our workshops next September to be hosted in Austria. I've got some exciting excursions planned for the workshop like visiting the salt mines, lake boat rides, and of course authentic regional cuisine...





Innsbruck, Austria.
Vienna by day.



Vienna by night.



In the Tirol mountains.

Salzburg, Austria.

More of Salzburg.

After visting Versailles last spring, I read the biography of Marie Antoinette, I'm so enthralled to visit the region of Austria where she grew up and her mother, Maria Therese, once reigned.

The Imperial Collections of the Habsburgs (Marie Antoinette's family, decedent of the Habsburg Dynasty) at the Kunsthistorisches Museum near Schonbrunn Palace. 



Painting of Maria Theresa at Schonbrunn. (Mother of Marie Antoinette.)


This fabulous dress is on display at the Palace.

Other places of interest: The Opera House, The Vienna Residence Orchestra and take a Sound of Music tour to see where the Von Trapp family lived, (all in Vienna).

Happy Traveling!

17 comments:

  1. What a great post!
    ...and of course I adore Julie Andrews in The sound of Music! Not so long ago the whole movie cast had a reunion, so interesting to see the children all grown up! Lovely day dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so beautiful! (I'm sure most of Europe is) These posts always make me want to pack up and go somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are gorgeous pictures! Do you know, I have never seen The Sound of Music!!! Shame on me! I need to rent that!

    Have a great day!
    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like the perfect adventure, my friend! Gorgeous, gorgeous photos. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg thats soo beautiful!! One of my friends I think did a Vienna, Munich, Budapest, Prague tour 2 years ago and she is still talking about it. No joke. Oh travelling...I really gotta get on that. It's great to hear such positive feedback about tour groups. Thats such a gorgeous gown in the last pic!! I hope you get to go one day! =)

    Thank you for your comment the other day!! I'm hangin in there. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah! I love Salzburg! Lots of fun shops, all kinds of different flavored pretzels to buy right by the Residenz Fountain. But, getting to actually see the Fountain from the Sound of Music in person was huge for me. Great place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely fabulous! How I would love to go to Austria and now I'll be singing that song all day...ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this sounds amazing:)i love travelling:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darling, next year when they offer the tour, let's take it together. My kids and I love the movie and my dream has always been to get as close as possible to the movie setting.

    Love, Hugs & Tea
    Duchess xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. That would be a lovely adventure! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh man. so close to heaven. i watched the sound of music, like, at least 6 times.

    i'm shelving the milan trip for now.. probably better to go in summertime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love it, I'm getting itchy feet now! I love travel, museums etc etc :)

    The last bit put a smile on my face!

    Have a fab weekend honey,
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. How magnificently wonderful! Austria is such an amazing mix of long-rooted history and natural beauty. I would adore the chance to journey there, too...perhaps even to that unfathomably lovely white and red mansion (castle?) nestled in the mountains.

    Wishing you a serene and wonderful weekend, honey!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been to Austria and seen a lot of the Sound of Music sights! It's one of my all time favorite movies, and you HAVE to go to Austria- it's absolutely incredible!!

    Thanks for the sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love getting my travel fix from you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am looking forward to your photography getaways even though I cannot join them.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin