Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Basque

Cultural Eats


Even though I spent over a month in France last year, I had never heard of the Basque people who inhabit the southwestern region of France and northeastern region of Spain. It wasn't until I started hanging around Carson City that I learned of their traditions. So, this weekend, I tried two Basque restaurants. A burger for lunch at Villa Basque, though next time I should try the chorizo, as many of their dishes contain the popular ingredient, and they even sell it packaged in house to take home. But dinner at JT's, one of the area's renowned Basque restaurants, was served family-style. Not only was it a lot of fun, there was no shortage of good food. Family-style includes: bread, wine, minestrone soup, salad, then stew, amazing French fries, and your choice of a main dish. I choose the lamb chops, but the garlic shrimp was fantastic too!


The coolest thing though, was the old saloon style bar in front with all the dollar bills tacked to the ceiling.



Bon appetit!


Follow Simply Colette

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin