Garden Tomatos


Garden Tomatos

One of my favorite things about late summer is the aroma and taste of homegrown tomatos fresh off the vine. Although current living conditions don't allow me to have a beautiful country garden like I was blessed with while growing up, I did plant a small container garden this spring.


This weekend I picked my first one, and look forward to three more that will be ready this evening.
Can't decide if I will make salsa or this Tomato Heirloom and Basil Tart by Giada DeLaurentiis.



(I think I will try this with a fresh pizza dough from the local grocery store bakery rather than the Pillsbury Crust. Yes, I know, making it fresh would be better, but it this is easier and just as good... well almost!)

Heirloom Tomato & Basil Tart
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
Show: Giada at HomeEpisode: Spring Fling

Recipe

Cook Time: 7 min
Level: Easy
Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Recipe Tools: Print Recipe Select a Card Size CARD3x5 card or CARD4x6 card

Ingredients
Crust:
1 (9-inch) refrigerated pie crust (recommended:
Pillsbury)
Pesto:
2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts* see Cook's Note
1 garlic clove, peeled
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
1/4 teaspoon freshly
ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
1/2 to 2/3 cup extra-virgin
olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
2 medium (12 ounces) heirloom or 4 plum tomatoes, cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
Extra-virgin olive
oil, for drizzling
Kosher salt
For the crust:

Directions:
Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place the pie crust on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 7 minutes until lightly golden. Cool for 20 minutes.

For the pesto:
In a blender or food processor, pulse the basil, pine nuts, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until finely chopped. With the machine running, slowly add the olive oil until the mixture forms a smooth and thick consistency. Add the Parmesan and pulse until combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Using a spatula, spread the pesto over the cooled crust. Arrange the tomato slices on top of the pesto and garnish with the sliced basil. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Cut the tart into wedges and serve.

*Cook's Note: To toast pine nuts, place on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 8 to 10 minutes in a preheated 350 degree F oven until lightly browned.

Comments

  1. You are too sweet! Thank you!! As for this absolutely unreal recipe you've shared, well, it's almost enough to get me into the grocery store...and that say a lot. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do remember those delicious tomatoes from your moms garden. Remember the one night I was pregnant w/Makayla and I believe I ate the whole bowl that your mom had picked and left on the countertop :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts