Thursday, July 30, 2009

Travel Thursday

RVing... Would you do it Full Time?










One of today's main features on MSNBC is "On the Road Again, and Again, and Again." Which is about RV owners who become "full-timers." They give up their homes to become nomads, selling most of their belongings, or put it in storage, and bounce around from place to place wherever the wind or weather may blow.







I've always been quite intrigued by this lifestyle, as I grew up enjoying camping as a kid. I've never really roughed it, or gone backpacking, but always kind of wondered... what if?



When the movie, Into the Wild, with Emile Hirsch, came out a few years ago, based on the true story of Christopher McCandless, I could relate. My dad expressed to me... that most people could. (If you haven't seen the movie, you can read more about McCandless here.)





Chris, a college graduate who didn't want to join society in the 9-5, burned his money, and ditched his car with dreams of going to Alaska burning in his heart (SuperTramp, he called himself). But there is a big difference between Chris and retirees who have "put in their time" with society and can enjoy this leisurely lifestyle of living in Arizona or Florida in the winter, and the Northern mountains for the summer.

Could you imagine immersing yourself in this lifestyle?




Would you prefer traveling around in an RV ?


Do you like camping by tent? Or would you prefer to stay in a cabin or lodge?

Images from Disney & Into the Wild

8 comments:

  1. Oh that last picture is SO cute! I don't think I could do it full-time, but I wouldn't mind going for a month with friends! :) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heck yeah I could do it! It's actually on my "bucket list" to travel all 50 states via R.V. There are some pretty fabulous R.V.'s out there, they're like condos on wheels. If I traveled in one of these I'd forgo the tent, cabin and lodge!

    Fabulous post and your pictures are awesome!

    xoxo
    Karyn


    xoxo
    Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen the movie and I am not the camping kind, but this post might change my mind, I a, going to read more about the movie.

    Duchess xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're cute but camping? Not so much my thing. I'll leave it up to the hubs to take the dude. ah ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cute....i would love to go like this...but we have a tent...I did a post last week on the ugly vs cute camping...trying to make our tent cute but it's not really working! Love your images!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the book and saw the movie. Both freaked me out quite a bit, I must admit. I do, however, love camping in a tent. Nothing is better than a campfire. Your pictures for this post are just great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love those cute pictures!

    I've camped and travelled in a campervan and done the cabin thing as well, they were all fun. Camping is a lot of work, just do it once a year now. Must admit, I prefer luxury now ... but hey.

    xxx

    love your etsy pieces, peach fray is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always thought about selling out and bouncing around like a nomad, but a little afraid of the unknown. It's like it seems intriquing but taking the big leap seems hard to do :) Can always dream I guess!!!

    ReplyDelete

BOOK JACKET READING

Author Interview

I'm very excited to be able to share my author interview with you! Many people have asked questions about my book, 'Running Away to ...