Metatarsal

Metatarsal



I have always thought that it was wearing heels that make my feet ache, but twice this summer I have seen articles about flips flops being the cause of a sprained foot.


This is hard to digest because I can't seem to pull myself out of sundresses with my favorite flip flops. As soon I come home from work, I kick off the heels and go straight to my flips flops. And on the weekend, I live in them. I know heels or wedges may look better, but to me flips flops are just so easy and comfortable. That is, until I read in Real Simple that flips flops can cause stress fractures.





Excerpt from Real Simple online:



"Stress fracture...

Feels like: A tender area, often on the front part of the foot, at the second or third metatarsal (the metatarsals are the long bones in the midfoot).



What causes it: Repetitive stress on a bone, like walking or running on hard surfaces, especially in shoes that aren’t designed to absorb shocks. “Every summer, I see fractures in women who walk the city sidewalks all day in flip-flops,” says Sutera. High heels can also make you more susceptible to stress fractures, because the heel’s tilt distributes your weight over your foot unevenly.



Treatment strategies ...
See a doctor no matter what. A podiatrist will give you a surgical shoe to wear as you heal (it has a hard bottom that doesn’t allow the affected bones to bend) or advise you to wear some other kind of rigid shoes.


Slow down. Stress fractures take four to eight weeks to heal. During that time, you’ll need to stop running and limit your walking to what’s absolutely necessary.

Prevent recurrences. Maintain a healthy weight and wear supportive, well-cushioned shoes."





If you suffer from other kinds of aches in your feet, you can read the article Here.


Also, here is article from the London Evening Standard last year, and the risk of flip-flop cancer.
Interesting...


I think I will give wedges a try, which give a little more height and more comfortable support than skinny heels for weekend attire.



How about you? Do you prefer heels, flips flops, wedges, or standard lace ups?

Comments

  1. I'm the same as you, I live in my flip flops when I get home and on the weekend. Interesting information, my feet often hurt, could be the hard stone surface that is the majority of the flooring in our house.

    xoxo
    Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny, seems like Sundays when I cook and clean all day in flip flops, my feet are so achy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post! I love flip flops, but I rarely wear them when I'm out and about walking any sort of distance because they don't support my arches enough. Even though I love the way they look, heels kill my back unless they're wedges. These days I often wear Dansko or Sanita clogs and sandals if I'm walking a lot in the city. They give me height but are completely supportive without making me look like I'm 100! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh, I like to throw some flip flops on in summer, you can get cute ones too. Will have to rethink that.

    Comment at mine was SO funny, and yes how did you miss me :( remember to look serious while your trolling your fav sites.

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your cards on etsy. You are such an inspiration to others. Keep up the good work :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crap. I'm ridiculously addicted to my flops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. :) great post! Flip flops are the worst, according to my husband {he's a chiropractor} but sometimes they are so great, aren't they??
    Thanks so much for visiting me today! I have added your name to my give away...
    hope you are having a happy day.
    xoxo Lidy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts