Apple Bobbing!



Photo via flickr.

Information below from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Apple bobbing, also known as bobbing for apples, is a game customarily played on Halloween. The game is played by filling a tub or a large basin with water and putting apples in the water. Because apples are less dense than water, they will float at the surface. Players (usually children) then try to catch one with their teeth. Use of hands is not allowed, and often are tied behind the back to prevent cheating.
In Scotland this may be called "
dooking," i.e. ducking.
In Ireland, mainly Co. Kerry it is known as "Snap Apple", and in
Newfoundland and Labrador, Snap Apple Night is a synonym name for Halloween.


History

Apple bobbing originates from Celtic times when Halloween was called Samhain in some Gaelic languages, when apples were associated with love or fertility. Some say this comes from the Roman goddess Pomona. whilst others note that this game is an important part of the Celtic pagan religious festival of Samhain when families would gather together for a communal feast. The current game is based on a New Year tradition, where whoever bites the apple first in the group will be the first to marry. The similar tradition of throwing rice at a wedding evolved from this, except apples were thrown originally. The popularity of this game is falling, possibly because people may regard it as unsanitary, although there is a variation on the game where the apples are hung on string on a line.Girls who place the apple they bobbed under their pillows are said to dream of their future lover.


World record
On 19 February, 2008, New Yorker, Ashrita Furman, bobbed 33 apples in one minute to establish a world record.


In Novels
Agatha Christie's mystery
Hallowe'en Party is about a girl who is drowned while apple-bobbing.


Sounds like an interesting read for October....


I have never participated in Bobbing for Apples... have you? I don't have faith that I can sucessfully catch an apple without getting water in my nose.



Photo via wikipedia.


I'm curious to know if any readers have ever caught the apple?! :)




Comments

  1. Picture a young girl in her Little Red Riding Hood outfit bobbing for apples with her one remaining front tooth and getting the apple! Insert big smile afterwards.....that was me! Thanks for bringing this up in my memory banks!
    P.S. My face got pretty wet too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun and fact filled post...loved it! I have bobbed for apples and sadly, I've never got one but you're making me want to give it another try!

    Hugs,
    Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun thing to do, though i've never tried apple bobbing before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is totally a HELLO FALL post! No, I've never tried it....and most likely never will!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've tried it once long ago at a halloween party, and i remember like dunking my whole head in and STILL couldn't get an apple. hehe. It's hard. lol. Woa that Ashrita person must have had really strong teeth!!! =)

    Thanks for the mortgage tip hun, I'm going to look into that! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes! My birthday is in October, so bobbing for apples was often a part of the festivities when I was a kid. I did sometimes get the apple, too. The trick was to sort of nudge an apple up against the side of the barrel and use the side as a bit of leverage. I was usually missing several teeth, so I needed all the help I could get!

    Thanks for reminding me of this fun autumn game! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. How interesting! I never knew that about bobbing for apples. I did bob for apples when I was very little. I think it was at a school festival. Anyway, I did not get the apple. :(

    Oh, well! There's always this Halloween, right?

    Thanks for your birthday wishes for my son today.

    xo,
    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to tell you this. The word verification for my comment was fulacrep! No kidding! That's probably the funniest I have seen yet! ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi honey, yeah sad to say I've done this, I honestly cannot remember if I got an apple!

    Hope everything is going good,
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's been many a year, but I have indeed bobbed for apples. If you don't mind getting a tad wet, it's pretty fun actually. I've caught a few (including one I was able to nab by the stem with my front teeth), but certainly won't be giving the world record holder a run for their money any time soon :)

    Wishing you a gorgeous start of autumn, sweet dear!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love apple bobbing! I have to admit, I wouldn't try to bob for apples nowadays...you know, too vain...but as a child I loved doing it! I also would say I was pretty successful at it and I agree Jessica, the stem is the way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like so much fun!
    Thanks for a lovely lesson there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always wanted to do this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts