Good Eats Wednesday


Choucroute


On my European Express trip earlier this spring, I traveled with my tour group through the Alsace region of France. We stopped briefly at a rest stop, and I was baffled by this region and it's eye popping dish that was on every form of tourist paraphernalia. I was hooked!


Post Cards from the Region.


A regional girl in a traditional Alsacienne outfit. Image found here.


I grabbed everything I could find including a regional cookbook, postcards, magnets, and a tea towel with the stunning display of food. Unfortunately, I was in such a rush, I grabbed the cookbook in Italian, well at least it's interesting to look at.


While there is no specific recipe for Choucroute. It is typically sauerkraut preparred in Riesling or other white wine, sometimes with an onion or apple, seasoned with peppercorns, cloves, garlic, bayleaves, and juniper berries. It is heated with the wine or stock, and often goose or pork fat. It includes generally three kinds of sausages: Frankfurt sausages, Strasbourg sausages, and Montbeliard sausages. In addition, there is a choucroute garnie consisting of ham hock, shoulders, pork knuckles, and back bacon. Potatos are often part of this dish as well.


If you are a meat and potatoes kind of girl, or guy, this could be your dish!
May I suggest, a side of Tums, Rolaids, or Pepto to go along?



Bon Appetite!

Comments

  1. Wow! I don't eat meat, but even I think this looks amazing! Just like you, when I'm visiting a place I scurry around picking up cookbooks of the region. There's no better souvenir! Your recent posts capture so beautifully the essence of fall, my friend. xoxo Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  2. great pictures! I'm not a big meat eater myself...but it looks like a wonderful adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks amazing, but oh how my tummy would hurt after eating that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, that's a LOT of meat! I'm full just looking at the pictures..

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lot of meat indeed and being that I haven't eaten all day my mouth is watering like crazy! What a fun trip...someday I hope to make it there and would love to try the Choucroute.

    Hugs,
    Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, that's certainly not the kind of dish one would turn to for a light snack! ;D I love traditional regional European foods (and costumes), even if I can't always eat them, just learning about their histories is a treat in my (gastronomy loving) books :)


    Wishing you a gorgeous Thursday - big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my Lord, that's a heart attack on a plate girlfriend ... not that I wouldn't try it, I would for sure .. he he

    Great pictures honey,
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. i thought the mountain underneath was noodle. i'm a meat person but i really wish they could do the dish in smaller portions. i dunno but i think food does look more appealing in manageable quantities.. but i understand this is cultural. thanks for the education.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts