Good Eats Wednesday

Fried Green Tomatos


Cherry Tomato Plant

Beefsteak Tomato Plant

Our Little Container Garden


Condo living in South Florida, has it's advantages and disadvantages
in regards to maintaining a garden.
But I do what I can...
I bought my little tomato plants about six weeks ago,
and they were only a couple inches tall,
now, how these babies have flourished!
Which makes tomato season early for me.
My neighbor and I share this little community garden by our pool.

Growing in Our Garden:
cherry tomatos
beefsteak tomatos
chili peppers
basil
rosemary
&
one lime tree

One of my favorite Southern summer treats
 is Fried Green Tomatos...
though I tend not to deep fry
anything in my kitchen,
here is a simple and slightly healthier recipe.


Fried Green Tomatos
Serves: 2-4

1-2 green tomatos
1 egg
1/2 -3/4 cup of self-rising corn flour
3 tbsp vegetable, canola, or light olive oil

Slice tomatos about a 1/3 of an inch thick.
Dip each slice in beaten egg,
the dredge in cornmeal flour,
coating both sides.
Once oil is heated
on medium to medium-high in skillet or fry pan,
fit tomatoes in and cook to desired texture.
(I prefer them a little al dente, with the breading just beginning to crisp.)


Have you planted your summer garden?

Bon Appetit!

Comments

  1. My dad loves growing tomatoes! He just bought himself a little tomato plant, and he let me name it Mr. T! Y'know, like the guy with the Mohawk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did my square foot garden and all of my veggies are sprouting now - it's so exciting to see them growing! I have an herb garden indoors in my kitchen with 8 different herbs...Have a great day! xxoo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm very jealous! Did not get to try container gardening this year because of my schedule, but I hope to do it this fall or winter. I do have pepper sprouts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts